It’s the next 2013 Changemaker Nomination suggested by a chocolate lover like you!
Congratulations to The Carroll School: www.carrollschool.org
Here’s what Kate has to say about this fearless organization:
“Because they save lives by empowering and teaching children to read, all of whom have language based learning disabilities. This school is like no other and should be celebrated as a model for education as whole.”
A little more info:
“Carroll School empowers children with language-based learning disabilities, such as dyslexia, to become academically skilled students who are strong self-advocates and confident lifelong learners prepared to enter other academic settings.
To fulfill its mission, Carroll School:
- Utilizes both proven instructional methods and innovative approaches founded in emerging scientific research;
- Meets individual student needs in small, supportive classroom environments;
- Teaches students skills that enable them to become responsible active learners who understand that their success is a direct result of their effective effort;
- Contributes to the understanding of language-based learning disabilities, such as dyslexia, by offering professional development for Carroll School faculty and educators worldwide, and collaborating with other professionals in the field;
- Conducts innovative research projects, and actively creates and distributes new instructional approaches;
- Serves a culturally, ethnically, and economically diverse population, and believes that multiple points of view enrich the school’s community;
- Celebrates the unique gifts and perspectives of individuals with language-based learning disabilities, such as dyslexia.”